Luna Blue Gifts Shop

Monday 3 February 2014

Polymer Clay

Polymer Clay is a type of modelling clay based on (PVC) polymer polyvinyl chloride. Clay is curable by baking it at low temperature. Brands include Fimo, Sculpey, Premo, Cernit, Formello, Modello, Du-kit, craftsmart and Kato-polyclay. Each manufacturer has its own recommended oven temperature for curing. Polymer clay are non toxic but not labeled as "Food Safe". It is generally used for arts and craft items and commercial application to make decorative parts.

I started using polymer clay for jewelries but I discovered ways to use them on glasses. I buy inexpensive clear glass vases from the thrift store and cover the glass with polymer clay and create some designs on it. Glass vases are safe to bake at low temperature.

Recently, I tried painting the clear vases with enamel glass paint. Once the paint is dry,  I added polymer clay designs. The enamel glass paint cures the same temperature with the polymer clay. Overall, my work turned out great. 
In my first few pages. I will share to you several of my polymer clay jewelries that I created.

Photo below shows the very first polymer clay jewelry I created. I made clay canes with swirl design using several colours of Premo accent. I cut thin slices of clay canes to cover the pendant and the clay beads and I added glass beads to my design. I created this set for a wonderful friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment